thanks for the info on your site!
i knew what i had to do to fix the AE, i was just too laze to go out and get the parts.. :)
but this website encouraged me to actually go through the piles of rubish in my house to see what i already got. i found ofcourse plenty of standard powerbricks, none of which would give exactly 5 volts..
but then i found that for the 5 volts the solution was right under my nose:
on the blown AE powerboard!
so i desoldered it and recycled it.
now i had stable 5 volt.
the 3.3 i got from a voltage regulator i found on an old video-card (voodoo 3dfx)
i put them together on a piece of printboard, using a 47µF cap on the output of the 5V volt.reg. from the AE (according to specs in the data sheet) and a 10µF on the out of the volt.reg from the voodoo 3 (the 10µF is actually also taken from the old AE-powerboard.. )
everyting nicely fits inside the case (which i opened-up a bit less 'neat' than you did)
it's put together with tape until it prooves stable and a added a fuse for safety.. and i'm not a complete electronics nerd, but it already works great for a few days now.
just thought the idea of using the voltage regulator from the AE can be helpfull..keep it up!